Friday, March 20, 2015

Dedicated to all the friendships out there

Isn't love just the greatest? Is there really anything that feels better than loving someone and being loved in return? No wonder hundreds of artists, poets, writers and songwriters have spent centuries trying to depict it. And what's even better about it, it's that it's not a feeling that is specifically for just one person. Indeed, love is more than just a romantic feeling. It's a feeling also reserved for family and friends, which brought me to today's subject: friendship.

I believe that everyone should have that one person who, no matter how long it has been since you've last seen each other, can pick up with you right where you left off. I am one of those lucky enough to have that type of friendship. A friendship that isn't based on the amount of years that you've both known each other, or which friends or interests you have in common, but rather on a genuine connection that runs deep in the core of your being. 

My best friend, Mireille, whom I have known for roughly twelve years now, is that one kindred spirit that I am fortunate enough to have in my life. Wherever she goes she attracts friends, positivity and laughter. She is the bubbliest, softest, most caring person I know and I could not imagine my life without her in it. 

In the summer of 2012, Mireille and I decided to go backpacking across Europe, which was a life changing experience in more ways than I could ever imagine. While some might be cautious about travelling with their friend out of fear of discovering traits that would have best been kept in the dark, travelling with Mireille was the best decision I could ever have taken. She showed me how to be more spontaneous and got me to come out of my shell; she helped me become the woman I am today. Because of her, I discovered my love of Ireland and helped me achieve my life long dream of moving to Europe. She encouraged me to follow my dreams and to not be afraid of trying new things. She shared with me her gift of not always taking yourself so seriously and of living life to the fullest. But perhaps the biggest gift she has ever given me was to introduce me to another friend... Who eventually became my fiancĂ©.  

So many incredibly good things in my life, I owe to this fabulous lady, this charming, funny, beautiful woman. So Mireille, I do believe you are one of my soul mates and I am the luckiest gal in the world to have you in my life.

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Paris, France
Venice, Italy
Pisa, Italy
Pompei, Italy
Somewhere, Ireland
Wicklow, Ireland
Sligo, Ireland

No comments: