Friday, April 3, 2015

The power of a nature walk

I've been back in Canada for about two weeks, and what a two weeks it has been.

A day after my return, I was lucky enough to have been offered a three week teaching job, so I am so incredibly grateful for that. But between working full-time while also looking for a second job for a more secure income and ragging a war against a cold, as well as dealing with missing my fiancé so much, I have also been going back an forth between my parents' and brother's houses since I don't have an income stable enough for an apartment just yet. So as you can imagine, it has been a stressful two weeks where I am constantly surrounded by people. And for an introvert such as myself, while I appreciate my family for helping me so much, it can get quite tiring and energy consuming.

Enter nature.

Today, I finally mustered up enough energy to finally go outside for a walk. With the sun out and the temperature at a high of 10 degrees, it would have been a sin to stay cooped up inside all day. Even thought it was a simple 30 minute walk, it was exactly what I needed. The sound of only my footsteps and the gentle wind lazily passing me by had such a calming and soothing affect. The sun reflecting on the snow made everything so much brighter and beautiful. I finally felt like I was regaining my sanity bit by bit with every step I took and started feeling like myself again.

I'm so happy I finally went for a walk today and I plan on going again every single day. I plan on taking some "Martine time" where I can go outside and let go of everything else that is stressing me in my life; it will all still be there when I come back. I plan on not even bringing my earphones, so that the only music I can listen to is the sound of my footsteps softly thumping on the pavement or crunching in the snow.

I highly recommend anyone to do the same. Even if you live in a city, find a nearby park where you can go walk around; getting away from the city noises can do wonders for a person's well being! I find that nature has that affect on us. Sometimes when we're so busy stressing over things, that most of the time we have no control over, we tend to forget that nature is out there as gentle, as peaceful and as calming as ever. We forget that ultimately, we came from there but have lost touch with it.


Yours truly, Bien la votre,


Broke my new pair of sunglasses already, so had to dig up these old ones!


Wanted to go for a walk on the snow... but sank knee-deep in it!

There is beauty everywhere... even in old rusty abandoned mailboxes



No comments: